A scalp massage is an individual massage which can help massage his or her scalp, it can be a good way to relieve stress. As the scalp is massaged, pressure is applied on nerve endings that are associated with acupressure points, and this pressure on the nerve endings releases endorphins that help relieve stress and increase pleasure. Scalp massages are popular for their relaxing and calming effect. They stimulate blood flow in the scalp, which promotes hair growth by providing more nutrients to the hair follicles, and they help relieve headaches, stress and sinus congestion. You can enjoy a scalp massage during a shampoo at your hair salon or during spa treatments, or you can give yourself a relaxing scalp massage at home.
Scalp Massage Technique
Use your fingers to steady your hand while you give someone a scalp massage or you give yourself a massage. Place your thumbs on your temples and use your first two fingers to massage small circles along the hairline. When giving someone else a massage, steady your hand with your forefingers and use the thumbs to massage. During your massage, move from the hairline to the center of the scalp. Massage the back of the neck and around the ears while giving a scalp massage.
Benefits of Scalp Massage
- Scalp massage can increase the production of certain chemicals in the body, including endorphins and serotonin. These chemicals can help put you in a better mood, reducing your stress and creating an environment for relaxation.
- Scalp massage also can relieve pain by improving circulation and removing muscle tension. This can be especially helpful if you have a migraine or headache. Migraines are sometimes caused by a decrease in serotonin levels.
- Scalp massage may be able to increase serotonin levels and relieve pain. Headaches, on the other hand, may be caused by muscle tension, which a scalp massage can also alleviate.
- Scalp massage can also strengthen hair follicles which, in turn, strengthens the entire hair shaft. Often this type of massage is accompanied by special oils that are applied to the scalp and hair to provide increased nourishment and work with the hair's natural oils to repair dryness and breakage.
- Since a scalp massage often includes massage of the neck, back and shoulders, it can also help relieve that crick in your neck.
- A scalp massager is that it increases blood circulation. This increase of blood flow can improve hair follicle growth, leading to more or newer hair.
Scalp Massage Tips
- This is great to do right before a shampoo and condition session as it will help to loosen any dirt.
- Use natural oils sparingly if desired.
- Avoid scalp massages for a few days before a relaxer or touch-up as it may make your scalp more sensitive and lead to irritation during the chemical process.