Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon has derived its name from the Arabic word 'laimun' or the Persian word 'limun'. Due to its fresh fragrance, this oil is often used by the Japanese in the making several perfumes and food. Lemon essential oil is usually yellowish in color but can be pale green too. It is also called the 'sunshine oil' because gives a wonderful and cheerful vibe that instantly perks your mood up! Like all other essential oils, the lemon oil is antibacterial, antiseptic and an antidepressant. It functions like any citrus oil but seems to have a quicker effect on its user. There are various therapies such as vapor therapy that makes extensive use of lemon.
- Lemon essential is known for its antimicrobial, antibacterial, tonic, anti-rheumatic, diuretic, anti-anemic, and antiseptic therapeutic properties. It enhances concentration and enables attention and focus.
- This oil serves as the best remedy for combating digestive problems by diminishing levels of acidity in the stomach. It also plays the role of a tonic and keeps you away from any physical ailments such as indigestion, gout, rheumatism, poor circulation and arthritis. Lemon essential oil is of great value to mankind as it is very rich in vitamins A, B and C. All of these nutrients are necessary for a disease-free body.
- This particular oil is extensively used in aromatherapy. It has a sweet and warm smell that when you inhale spreads all over the body making you happy and content. Put in a few drops of lemon essential oil in a tub of hot water and soak in it. After a long day's work, this will give you immense relief. The oil is known to drain away any fatigue in your body and leave you revitalized. The sweet fragrance is believed to do wonders for relaxation of the mind.
- If you are suffering from acne, you can use a diluted version of the lemon essential oil. Dab a few drops on a cotton ball and gently apply it on your face. Remember to use it only on dry skin. Due to its antibacterial properties, the lemon essential oil is very effective on other blemishes and scars too.
- During the winter, people often get chest congestion due to the cold. If a few drops of lemon essential oil are inhaled in a vapor form, it can provide instant liberation. Lemon essential oil should be used by people who have oily skin. It helps in curbing the excessive production of sebum/oil.
- Sometimes mosquito bites can turn into ugly scars. If you are prone to this, then use a small amount of lemon essential oil on the area and watch the marks disappear without a trace! This oil can be also used on wounds. For this, dilute the oil in water, dip a cloth into it and wipe the bruised area. It prevents any sort of infection.
- You can use lemon essential oil as a disinfectant too. Add few drops into a glass of water and wash your mouth. It not only kills germs but it also prevents bad breath.
These are the few benefits and uses of lemon essential oil. It must be remembered that people who use it in skin care must not be exposed to that harsh rays of sun. Lemon essential oil is photosensitive in nature.