Lavender Essential Oil
Originally known as Lavandula officinalis, lavender is native to France but it currently being grown and sold in almost all parts of the world. The term 'lavender' has been derived from the Latin word 'lavare', which means washing. Ancient folklore has it that lavender has served as a wonderful remedy for treating skin disorders. The Greeks have been reported to use lavender to deal with constipation, chest pains and throat infections. It is believed that lavender grew in the Garden of Eden which hosted Adam and Eve. The Romans use lavender oils for many purposes such as perfumes, cleansing agents and even as relaxants. One of the most controversial myths about lavender oil was that it was used by Cleopatra to seduce Mark Antony! Out of all the numerous species of lavender, the English Lavender is said to be one of the finest. An interesting fact about this species is that it grows only at an altitude of over 3000ft.
Lavender Essential Oil Uses & Health Benefits:
- Lavender essential oil is useful in getting rid of acne and skin rashes. For this, mix 10 drops of lavender oil in water and pat gently on the affected area using a cotton ball. Lavender essential oil is especially effective in curing acne, asthma, flatulence, anxiety, allergies and itching.
- This essential oil is one of the purest ones that are used to give soothing massages. It offers plentiful benefits to the skin. Since it is in a highly concentrated, only a few drops are sufficient to obtain its therapeutic gains. Lavender essential oil has a fragrance that is not too strong.
- Apply a few drops of this oil on the pressure points of the neck area, lie down on the bed and enjoy the blissful experience. Feel your tensions fade away!
- Lavender essential oil is recommended for insomniacs as it soothes the nerves and helps in achieving peaceful sleep. Doctors suggest putting a few drops of the oil on the edge of a pillow before going to bed.
- If lavender oil is used regularly in suitable dosage it can help in building the natural immunity of your body which makes it ready to fight any disease.
- Aromatherapy uses lavender essential oil to treat depression and anxiety. It helps in creating a stress-free environment and calming a person down.
- Lavender oil is believed to be an excellent therapy for hair fall. When massaged on to the scalp, it rejuvenates the growth of hair from the roots. In the process, it also kills lice. With regular use of this oil you can improve your hair texture.
- Recent studies have proven that lavender oil can be used to control post-surgical pain. It was even seen in patients undergoing biopsies where it was mixed with oxygen and lavender oil and the results showed that lesser pain was experienced by people during the procedure. However the doctor's discretion is important before resorting to any measures after surgery.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women should not use lavender essential oil as it is a cause of allergy and is reported to be the cause of vomiting and nausea. Hope this article on lavender essential oil was of some help!